Attendants were excited to not only wear all-white attire but to decorate an elaborate tablescape that showcased their individual styles.
Leading up to Le Diner en Blanc Birmingham there were several phases that took place. Everyone registered to secure their seat, accepted the official deb invitation, and of course, wore white outfits.
Simple enough right? The hosts, Lynda and Jasmine Allen, owners of Destination Birmingham, along with a team of influential volunteers (including myself) collaborated to create a memorable evening!
There were several surprises during the event; other than setting up for the all-white picnic. First, a marching band dazzled the audience. Second, there were sparklers and it doesn’t get any better than that!
Also, a photography backdrop was designed by local business Swanky D’s and The Pixel Room BHM, Selfie Museum. This definitely made Le Diner en Blanc Birmingham hashtag/picture ready!
The evening entailed an endless amount of dancing and laughter. After such a dynamic night, the magic city’s ready to start planning the 2021 event.
Le Diner en Blanc Birmingham 2021 Photo Recap:
If you like this post, click here: THE MAGIC CITY #DEBBHAM EXPERIENCE: LE DINER EN BLANC BIRMINGHAM 2019
Dr. Eliza Belle is a Licensed Psychologist and Board Certified Forensic Examiner. She currently serves as the Director of Psychological and Behavioral Services for Alabama’s Department of Mental Health.
Let’s talk about discrepancies in mental health treatment between minorities and non-minorities.
20% of African American adults are more likely to experience more negative impacts from mental health issues. However, they are less likely to receive it due to misdiagnosis, lack of culturally responsive health care professionals, and socioeconomic factors.
18% of US adults have a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year, and approximately 4% of adults have a serious mental illness.
Mental disorders are among the topmost costly health conditions for adults 18 to 64 in the U.S., along with cancer and trauma-related disorders.
Black people with mental health conditions, particularly schizophrenia, bipolar disorders, and other psychoses are more likely to be incarcerated than people of other races.
Dr. Eliza Belle Mental Health Tips:
How to Relax
Visualization – Close your eyes and picture your peaceful place
Deep breathing – Take a few minutes to slowly breathe in and out. Deep breaths for the win.
Meditation – This will allow you to focus on your body, thoughts, and surroundings.
Unplug – set boundaries for communication, use of devices, and response to requests of your time.
Deep Breaths – Controlled breathing is your body’s built-in calming system. When things feel overwhelming, take a moment to take deep breaths and exhale. This will calm your heart rate and allow you a moment to reset.
Get Up & Move – Adjusting your posture and movement can change your brain’s signals and help reduce stress, depression, and anxiety.
Journal – Journaling allows you to process events, identify what is causing you stress and clarify your feelings. It is a great tool to help gain self-awareness in stressful situations.
Talk to a Loved One -Speaking with someone allows you to express your feelings. It also allows an unbiased party the opportunity to introduce an alternative perspective.
Dermaflage brings innovative formulations and techniques from the Hollywood pro makeup artists to the everyday person to solve some of the beauty industry’s most challenging problems. The brand is all about self-confidence and empowerment through improving the complexion.
The power of self-confidence changes people’s lives. When they look their best they accomplish more in the world. When a brand helps people do this, it brings more joy into the world.
In a world that judges us by our outside instead of our inside, we need products that cover our insecurities and boost our self-confidence. Dermaflage brings the best innovations from the worlds of Hollywood professional makeup artists and dermatologists to your makeup bag. Dermaflage customers are confident and living as their best selves.
Join the confidence revolution.
Dermaflage was recently asked to sell the line on southern-focused styleblueprint.com since they are a woman-led southern start-up.
The company’s gave away a Dewy Skin bundle from @dermaflage to 3 lucky winners! These 3 products are all you need to combat dry winter skin & glow with a beautiful dewy complexion.
- Lit From Within Glow Balm: a bronzer, blush & highlighter cheek palette that gives the skin a warm incandescent glow
- Good Skin Corrective Cream: peptides, hyaluronic acid & antioxidants moisturize & plump the skin
- Multi-Task Remover: moisturizing & restorative jojoba oil combined with olive oil makes this your 1-step makeup remover, oil cleanser, anti-aging serum & moisturizer.
February was National Hot Breakfast Month. Nationwide, food retailers were encouraging everyone to start their day with a warm meal. I couldn’t agree more because there are so many benefits to eating a hot breakfast. Number one, breakfast foods help fuel the body and provide a sharper focus while boosting the metabolism.
In support of this initiative, I hosted a lifestyle segment live from my kitchen! It was a lot of fun because I was able to inspire the local Huntsville audience with a delicious meal.
Julian’s Recipe Blueberry & Brie Melt
- 1 ½ cups blueberries
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 Julian’s Recipe Wafels
- 4 ounces of brie cheese, thinly sliced
Combine the blueberries, lemon zest and sugar in a medium saucepan.
Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to simmer for about 5 minutes until the mixture has thickened.
Place the butter in a grill pan over medium-high heat. Then place your wafels into the pan.
Add 4-5 slices of brie cheese on top followed by a generous scoop of the blueberry compote.
Add the second wafel on top and then flip! Allow 2-3 minutes per side or until golden.
Serve while hot and enjoy!
Click on the link to watch the segment: WAFF48
While North American travelers haven’t been able to travel as much as they would like in 2020, we hope that the following list of best spas will inspire your trips to come — whenever they may be. Three of the top 30 spas for 2020 in North America were in Alabama on the RTJ Spa Trail and are owned by the Retirement Systems of Alabama.
The Top 100 Spas of 2020 list includes 74 spas from the United States, 19 spas from Canada, three from Mexico, and one each from Barbados, The Bahamas, Jamaica, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. https://travelprnews.com/spas-
“The North American spa and wellness industry was devastated by the events of the past year,” says Spas of America president Craig Oliver. “Many spas have been forced to close, reduce staff, and operate at a reduced capacity. On the bright side, we are seeing strong interest from consumers who are searching for relaxation, mental health, wellness, and escape. We have no doubt North American spas will rise to meet this challenge in the year ahead.”
The RTJ Spa Trail has six spas across Alabama. “We are delighted with these honors and believe all of our spas offer world-class experiences at a time when people need them,” said Taylor Fields, Director of Spa for PCH Hotels & Resorts. “Our spas at Ross Bridge, Opelika, and Florence make this prestigious international list.” Other spas on the RTJ Spa Trail are at the Grand Hotel, the Battle House, and Renaissance Montgomery.
Spas of America’s Top 100 Spas of 2020
1. Red Mountain Resort, St. George, Utah
2. Elora Mill Hotel & Spa, Elora, Ontario
3. Aspira Spa, The Osthoff Resort, Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin
4. The Spa at Ross Bridge, Birmingham, Alabama
5. Spa Shiki at the Lodge of Four Seasons, Lake Ozark, Missouri
6. The Spa at The Wentworth, New Castle, New Hampshire
7. Crystal Spa, Crystal Mountain Resort & Spa, Thompsonville, Michigan
8. Feathers Spa at The Peabody Hotel Memphis, Memphis, Tennessee
9. Skaná, The Spa at Turning Stone Resort, Verona, New York
10. Grotto Spa, Tigh-Na-Mara Spa Resort, Parksville, British Columbia
11. Spa at Grand National, Auburn Marriott Opelika Resort & Spa at Grand National, Opelika, Alabama
12. The Spa at the Joule, Dallas, Texas
13. Remède Spa, St. Regis, Mexico City, Mexico
14. The Spa at White Oaks Resort, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
15. Carillon Miami Wellness Resort, Miami Beach, Florida
16. eforea Spa, Hilton Sedona Resort Bell Rock, Sedona, Arizona
17. The Lodge at Woodloch, Hawley, Pennsylvania
18. The Sunstone Spa at Agua Caliente, Rancho Mirage, California
19. The Greenbrier Spa, White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia
20. Soul Spa, The Westin Jackson, Jackson, Mississippi
21. New Life Hiking Spa, Killington, Vermont
22. The Spa at Beau Rivage, Biloxi, Mississippi
23. Pala Spa, Pala Casino Spa & Resort, Pala, California
24. Trillium Spa at Seven Springs Mountain Resort, Champion, Pennsylvania
25. The Spa at The Omni Homestead, Hot Springs, Virginia
26. Aarna Spa, Pasea Hotel & Spa, Huntington Beach, California
27. Miraj Hammam Toronto, Shangri-La Toronto, Ontario
28. Lake George Spa, Sagamore Resort & Spa, Bolton Landing, New York
29. Scandinave Spa Blue Mountain, Blue Mountains, Ontario
30. The Spa at The Shoals, Florence, Alabama
31. Roosevelt Baths & Spa at Gideon Putnam Resort, Saratoga Springs, New York
32. Springs Eternal Spa, Omni Bedford Springs, Bedford, Pennsylvania
33. The Spa at Whiteface Lodge, Lake Placid, New York
34. Remède Spa, St. Regis, Atlanta, Georgia
35. Two Bunch Palms Resort, Desert Hot Springs, California
36. Remède Spa, St. Regis, Aspen, Colorado
37. Immerse Spa, MGM Grand Detroit, Detroit, Michigan
38. The Spa at The Peaks Resort, Telluride, Colorado
39. The Spa at Sun Valley Resort, Sun Valley, Idaho
40. Boathouse Spa and Baths, Oak Bay Beach Hotel, Victoria, British Columbia
41. The Millcroft Inn & Spa, Alton, Ontario
42. Amina Spa, Sahara Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada
43. Willow Stream Spa, Fairmont Pacific Rim, Vancouver, British Columbia
44. The Spa at Stein Eriksen Lodge, Park City, Utah
45. The Spa at French Lick, French Lick, Indiana
46. SpaTerre, The Josie Hotel, Rossland, British Columbia
47. Deerfield Health Retreat & Spa, East Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania
48. Spa Walden, Walden Inn & Spa, Walden, Ohio
49. Spa Eastman, Eastman, Quebec
50. Turtle Cove Spa, Mountain Harbor Resort, Mount Ida, Arkansas
51. The Spa at Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, Jasper, Alberta
52. Stillwater Spa, Hyatt Regency Lake Tahoe Resort, Incline Village, Nevada
53. Dunton Hot Springs, Dolores, Colorado
54. Pacific Mist Spa, Kingfisher Oceanside Resort & Spa, Courtenay, British Columbia
55. The Sanctuary Spa, Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain, Paradise Valley, Arizona
56. Relache Spa Gaylord Texan, Grapevine, Texas
57. Solace Spa & Salon, Big Sky Resort, Big Sky, Montana
58. Drift Spa, Black Rock Oceanfront Resort, Ucluelet, British Columbia
59. The Spa at Old Edwards Inn, Highland, North Carolina
60. 100 Fountain Spa at Pillar and Post, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
61. Glacial Waters Spa at Grand View Lodge, Nisswa, Minnesota
62. Exhale Spa Ocean Resort Casino, Atlantic City, New Jersey
63. SpaTerre Teton Mountain Lodge, Teton Village, Wyoming
64. Ojo Santa Fe Resort, Santa Fe, New Mexico
65. ESPA at Baha Mar, Nassau, The Bahamas
66. Jasha Spa, JW Marriott Las Cabos Beach Resort & Spa, San Jose Del Cabo, Mexico
67. Arlington Resort Hotel & Spa, Hot Springs, Arkansas
68. The Spa at Ritz Carlton, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands
69. Ste. Anne’s Spa, Grafton, Ontario
70. Bamford Haybarn Spa, 1 Hotel, Brooklyn, New York
71. The Spa at Wine & Roses, Lodi, California
72. The Spa at Camelback Inn, JW Marriott Scottsdale Camelback Inn Resort & Spa, Scottsdale, Arizona
73. The Spa at Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Lake Louise, Alberta
74. Spa La Vie at Paragon Casino Resort, Marksville, Louisiana
75. The Spa at Sea Island, Sea Island, Georgia
76. Health Club & Spa at Fairmont Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
77. eforea Spa Hilton Barbados Resort, Bridgetown, Barbados
78. The Spa at Spruce Peak, Stowe, Vermont
79. Manitou Springs Resort & Mineral Spa, Manitou Beach, Saskatchewan
80. Healing Waters Spa, Saratoga Resort and Spa, Saratoga, Wyoming
81. Sole’renity Spa at the Artesian Hotel, Sulphur, Oklahoma
82. Mtn. Laurel Spa at Stonewall Resort, Roanoke, West Virginia
83. The Spa at Cliff House, Cape Neddick, Maine
84. Espiritu Spa, Costa Baja Resort, La Paz, Mexico
85. Spa Khakara, Sheraton Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii
86. The Spa at Saddlebrook, Chapel, Florida
87. Sycamore Mineral Springs Resort, San Luis Obispo, California
88. Miraj Hammam Spa, Vancouver, British Columbia
89. Jewel Grande Resort & Spa, Montego Bay, Jamaica
90. Guerlain Spa at Hotel X Toronto, Toronto, Ontario
91. Woodlands Spa Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, Farmington, Pennsylvania
92. Vanderbilt Spa, Auberge Resorts Collection, Newport, Rhode Island
93. Tree Spa at Hidden Pond, Kennebunkport, Maine
94. Moccasin Springs Natural Mineral Spa, Hot Springs, South Dakota
95. The Bridge House Spa at Twin Farms, Barnard, Vermont
96. The Ritz Carlton Spa, Bachelor Gulch Spa, Avon, Colorado
97. Kohala Spa at Hilton Waikoloa Village, Waikoloa, Hawaii
98. Mirbeau Inn & Spa Rhinebeck, Rhinebeck, New York
99. Ciel Spa at SLS Lux Brickell, Miami, Florida
100. The Spa at Four Seasons Resort Scottsdale at Troon North in Scottsdale, Arizona
Source: Google Analytics, January 1–December 31, 2020. The Top 100 Spas is measured by unique page views of spa and wellness consumers across North America. They are ranked in order. This showcases unique spas across the country. The Top 100 Spas of 2020 comprises the top 10% of all spa listings on https://www.spasofamerica.
As a mature woman (smile) I have fully embraced this season with a few beauty and style essentials. These are items that get me started when selecting an outfit.
Personal Stylist Tip: Knowing your beauty and style essentials is critical to achieving a put-together look!
Kim’s Beauty & Style Essentials: Feel Free To Steal Them!
- Favorite piece of shapewear.
- A classic denim jacket.
- The right push-up bra.
- Self-tanning oil or bronzer to cover any unforeseen spots.
- Favorite lipstick (the shade you have seen in my IG photos)
- Great tube of mascara or pair of wispy faux, eyelashes.
- Comfortable pair of high-waisted leggings.
The Just Chill Midi Dress:
One thing is for sure, I love a cute Midi Dress. It compliments all figures and can be dressed up or down.
In the shared photo, I wore a Shredded Denim Jacket to cover the arms for cooler temperatures. Get ready for all of your socially-distant events and wear a flattering Midi Dress.
Birmingham Zoo to Open for Labor Day First Responders and Healthcare Workers Receive Discounted Admission
In celebration of the Labor Day holiday, the Birmingham Zoo will be open on Monday, September 7 from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. The Zoo will be offering a discounted admission of $8 to First Responders and Healthcare Workers (with valid ID/badge) and up to four (4) guests at $8 each from Saturday, September 5 until Monday, September 7. Discounted admission tickets will only be sold onsite at the Zoo’s front entrance ticket booths.
The Birmingham Zoo is incredibly grateful for all our first responders and healthcare workers who have been working tirelessly through the Covid-19 pandemic. The Zoo is a fun and relaxing place where frontline workers can enjoy time with their friends and family while connecting to wildlife and the natural world. “We want First Responders and Healthcare workers to know their Birmingham Zoo supports them. We are thankful for the sacrifices they make, every day, and especially during this pandemic,” said Birmingham Zoo President & CEO, Chris Pfefferkorn. “They are true heroes whose dedication, commitment, and courage deserve our deepest gratitude and admiration.“
Labor Day at the Zoo offers something for everyone to enjoy! Visitors can take a ride on the Red Diamond Express Train* and spin on the Protective Life Carousel* at Children’s Zoo (*Additional cost). Daily activities, rides, and animal encounters at the Zoo are weather dependent.
The Red Diamond Express train and Protective Life carousel are operating from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and tickets are available for purchase onsite and online at birminghamzoo.com. The Zoo’s main Gift Shop is open for guests to purchase their favorite specialty items. The Predator and South America/Primate buildings are open for visitors to see indoor animal habitats in these areas as they travel the one-way path through the Zoo.
All guests and members of the Zoo are required to follow our health and safety guidelines, including face coverings for individuals over the age of six (6), in accordance with the State of Alabama ordinance mandating the wearing of face coverings in public places. For the health and safety of our staff, guests, and animals, the Birmingham Zoo will continue to monitor and evaluate our operations and modify our procedures as needed.
Something innovative has come to Birmingham! Last week, I went to The Pixel Room, Selfie Museum. Only two words can describe this place, very cool!
I didn’t know what to expect upon visiting the new local attraction. A mutual contact sent me the invite and honestly, anything with the word selfie attached to it is must-see for any blogger!
Most fashion and lifestyle influencers are constantly snapping photos and having a special location to stage pictures heightens the experience.
Upon entering the museum, I was greeted by a variety of displays. Almost every room was the replica of a movie set.
There’s a selfie room for everyone depending on your individual taste. Guests can take photos at either the Dynamic Disco Room, Lemonade Stand, House of Colors, etc.
Experience it for yourself, there’s so much fun happening at The Pixel Room, Selfie Museum! Visit the Grande River Outlets for leisure shopping and take some memorable selfies.
And of course, they are taking COVID-19 Precautions.
The Pixel Room Birmingham
BLOOM readers, I would like to introduce Arlene Henderson. Motivational Speaker, Author, Empowerment Coach, and Blogger, Arlene has blazed the Birmingham, Alabama community.
With her warm personality, she imparts wisdom to those around her; striving to be a light in a world filled with darkness!
BLOOM SPOTLIGHT: Arlene Henderson
When you think of the word “successful,” who’s the first person who comes to mind and why?
When it comes to a “successful” relationship I think first about Barak & Michelle Obama. Together they managed to lead with strength, grace, and dignity during their eight years in the White House as the first African American First Family. This is something that I will treasure forever. The Obamas were real friends. They enjoyed life. They expressed love while encouraging all of us to take the high road when faced with adversity. The couple was often criticized for being President and First Lady which is what I believe they were always destined to be.
What is the number one way we can make a difference in our community?
We can make a difference in our community by communicating with each other. The bible tells us to seek wisdom and get an understanding of all that we do. We cannot do that unless we have an open and honest conversation. We will never conquer hard topics until we address them head-on. It is time to talk about the big elephant in the room. We all love our country but we must do the hard work for the love to shine through. This also requires us to listen to each other even when it is a topic we don’t really want to discuss. Its time to do some deep cleaning/communicating of our hearts and minds to make a difference.
What has helped you get to where you are and what advice would you give to others on the same path?
My path has been very rocky, so my first piece of advice would be to get a clear understanding of who you are through God’s word. Establishing a personal relationship with God and staying connected to him will help when life comes at you from all directions. If you do not know who you are, you will end up trying to be something that was not purposed for your life.
My advice to others on the same path would be to get connected with like-minded people who are willing to help and encourage you along the way. You will need someone to journey with you in life if you are going to ever accomplish something great. I do not mean great in the monetary sense, but great in the sense of what did you to do help or inspire others. Think about what legacy are you leaving?
Do you have a specific experience where you wish you had done things differently?
Absolutely. I wish I would have taken time to be focused on what I wanted out of life for me. Instead of trying to be what the person I was with at the time wanted me to be. I feel like I lost my identity at such a young age in a relationship and it has taken over two decades for me to find my true self. Sharing all my challenging experiences helped me find my strength and my voice.
What advice would you give to your 20-, 25-, or 30-year-old self? And please place where you were at the time, and what you were doing.
I would not go back to my twenties even if I had the chance. I was so naive and gullible to life and people. I trusted everyone and was hurt by so many. I thought that if I were the best friend and girlfriend then that would make people love me. I was so wrong. I was looking for something in other people instead of finding it in myself first. It was a case of the blind leading the blind. But I was so blind and immature I thought everyone had it together but me. I would tell my 20-, 25-, or 30-year-old self, to learn to love yourself. Unconditional love will only be found in you through Jesus Christ. I would advise that it cannot be purchased or manipulated into being something it is not. Slow down and plan for your future. Be prepared for your future – mentally, physically, and financially.
How has a failure, or apparent failure, set you up for later success? Or, do you have a favorite failure of yours?
Failure has humbled me. Failure has made me grow up. Failure has taught me that I cannot leave anything to happen by chance. It has taught me that I am responsible for my own happiness and wellbeing. I must be connected to good and healthy people but I cannot require more from them than I require from myself.
All of this has taught me that I can do things that I once dreamed of. My failures taught me to believe in me and stop counting myself out. Why not me is the question I as now!
Do you have a quote you live your life by or think of often? I have scripture and quote.
One of my favorite scriptures is: Psalms 46:5 “God is within her, she will not fall, God will help her at the break of day.”
Break of day means everything is new each morning. So, if I can make it through the midnight, I know morning restores me to full capacity to start all over again.
And my quote is “Hear My Cry, We Are Better Together”. Every great movement begins with a sound. I want to be a sound that is everlasting, long after I am gone.