7 Ways to “Flip the Script” on Your Skincare Regimen This Fall
While most of us look forward to the cooler autumn weather, our skin tends to suffer as it retains less moisture because of the drier air, resulting in a dull skin tone, flaking, irritation and dryness. To maintain that beautiful summer glow, it’s important to take preventative measures. One of the best ways to be proactive is to switch up your daily skincare regimen this fall!
Warren B. Seiler III, M.D., a board certified cosmetic laser surgeon, the executive director at the American Board of Laser Surgery and medical director at Seiler Skin Cosmetic Laser & Aesthetics Center, has developed seven highly effective ways that you can “flip the script” on your skin care regimen, and better protect your skin during the Autumn cool-down.
7 Ways to “Flip the Script” on Your Skincare Regimen This Fall
1. Don’t neglect sunscreen: It’s easy to think you no longer need sunscreen once the summer heat subsides, but this couldn’t be further from the truth. While it is true that our skin does not have as much direct sun exposure, the UV index may still be high and we constantly receive incidental sun exposure – whether it be through our car windows or reflected from the sidewalk when walking. I cannot stress this enough – it is of the utmost importance to wear a medical-grade, broad spectrum sunscreen that contains zinc every day, all year long. Sunscreen is the best anti-aging product on the market, hands-down.
a. TRY THIS: eltaMD UV Daily Broad Spectrum SPF 40 is my personal go-to sunscreen – it’s a high-quality, medical-grade daily sunscreen that contains pure ingredients, won’t clog the skin and provides the complete protection you need. An alternative option is to use Sunforgettable by Colorescience, a mineral makeup brush with broad spectrum SPF 50 for added sun protection all day long.
2. Change up your masque: As the weather cools, consider switching from a purifying or clarifying masque to a more hydrating masque. If you are using a clay masque that hardens or cracks when it dries, stop immediately! You’re putting your skin at high risk for dehydration and the associated complications. A hydrating masque contains high levels of moisturizing oils that help to better hydrate the skin and protect it from the cool, dry air.
a. TRY THIS: One of my favorites for this time of year is SkinCeuticals Hydrating B5 Masque, which infuses dehydrated and stressed skin with optimal amounts of hyaluronic acid and vitamin B5 to replenish depleted moisture levels.
3. Add an extra boost of hydration: Remember – drier air equals drier skin! It is crucial that you continue to rehydrate your skin during the drier fall months, and there is no better way to do so than by adding a hydrating serum underneath your moisturizer to help draw moisture further into the skin. If your skin gets particularly dry, you may need to change to a more emollient moisturizer at night to help replenish cellular lipids.
a. TRY THIS: One of best hydrators on the market is SkinMedica’s HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator. Not only will this product help add additional moisture to your skin, but it will also – within eight weeks – teach your skin cells to produce 50 percent more hyaluronic acid (a powerful moisture-binding ingredient that keeps skin plumped, hydrated and youthful) on their own.
4. Prevent dry and cracked lips: When it’s cold outside, it doesn’t get much worse than dry, cracked and chapped lips – a common, uncomfortable occurrence for many. Lips are particularly sensitive to environmental changes, and need to be cared for intensively during the fall and winter months. I recommend using a daily lip treatment that contains antioxidants and vitamin E to neutralize free radicals and soothe and heal the lips when they start to become dry or irritated.
a. TRY THIS: One particularly powerful product is Antioxidant Lip Repair from SkinCeuticals, which not only helps the lips retain more moisture, but also repairs environmental damage to rejuvenate, reshape and replenish lip tissue. I use it every day without fail!
5. Add a retinol: Many people fear using a retinol during the summer because it heightens the skin’s sensitivity to the sun; however, retinol is one of the primary pillars of an effective anti-aging regimen. Retinols work to prevent the formation of free radicals and increase collagen production, giving you a more youthful look. The truth is that you can use a retinol all year long, as long as you also use a broad-spectrum sunscreen – which you should be wearing anyway! Remember, consistency is the key – once you start, keep using it and your skin will reap the benefits.
a. TRY THIS: The gold standard of retinol is Revision Retinol Completecontains the power of five antioxidants and includes a proprietary blend of botanical extracts that enhance the retinol’s effects.
6. Fall in love with a new fall product: Hot weather can wreak havoc on our skin, and unfortunately many of us end up suffering from heat-induced skincare laziness. If your regimen took a back seat this summer, fall is the perfect time to give it the special attention it deserves with a brand new product and the best anti-aging cream.
a. TRY THIS: One of the most impressive new products for fall is Revox™ 7 by Revision Skincare, a new serum that combines seven peptides to stimulate biological activity in the skin, and addresses lines and wrinkles caused by repetitive muscle movement. Four of the peptides are neuromodulator peptides, and relax the muscles to reduce movement on the forehead, between the eyebrows, around the eyes (“crow’s feet”), on the lips and the in nasolabial folds. The three additional peptides help repair deeper lines and wrinkles that are present in the skin at rest. As a bonus, this serum is perfect to pair with Botox® as it helps it work better and faster.
7. Hit the reset button: Over time, the biological processes in our skin begin to function less efficiently, resulting in the visible signs of aging. A major source of this “slowdown” is that your skin’s extracellular matrix – a collection of extracellular molecules that provide structural and biochemical support to surrounding dermis cells – becomes clogged with damaged and aged proteins. When the extracellular matrix becomes clogged, the skin’s normal regenerative processes no longer perform like they did when you were younger.