Mommy-ista Dressing and Beauty Tips: Look Fabulous while Being a Mom
As a mom you’re busy going to school meetings, shopping for groceries, and picking up socks. Honestly, there’s barely enough time in the day to get it all done, let alone time to fix yourself up. But mommy-istas, today is a new day! We need to embrace motherhood with a sense of vengeance and look fabulous while on this journey.
There’s a few rules that every mom should remember as “the going gets tough.” Rule number one: In order for everyone to be happy (and sane) in your home, your sense of happiness is very important. Number two: It’s completely okay to pick up a new tube of lipstick while shopping for pampers. And number three: Find a gym that has mommy daycare so everyone can have a “time out.”
Now that the rules have been established, let’s talk about looking fabulous. With so many celebrity moms like Halle Berry, Kim Kardashian, and Jessica Simpson, they have opened the doors for better apparel and beauty products.
Your probably saying to yourself, “good for them” but becoming a mom’s truly a unique sisterhood. When you enter this girls club, there’s always the uncontrollable issue of time. Which means we need (better) products that get us out of the door quickly, make us look good, and are cost efficient.
Based upon my own experiences, I have decided to share a few “mommy” secrets in regards to dress and my daily beauty regimen.
Mommy-ista Dressing Must Haves
1. A cute pair of flats: They can be purchased from Target or Channel but you need a pair of flats in your wardrobe…it’s difficult to chase kids in stilettos (honestly.) Also, flats are perfect for when you wear heels and need to take a break. You can carry flats in your purse and use them when needed.
2. Jeans are purchased in three categories: You have date night jeans that are sexy, stylish, and slightly trendy. You have parent/teacher conference jeans that look appropriate with a blazer…not too tight or sexy. You have shopping jeans that are comfortable…not “mom jeans” and can be worn with any pair of shoes.
3. Stylish pair of pumps/heels: Eventually you will have a “Girls Night Out” or need to wear them to the office. Every mom should have a pair in her wardrobe. When starting out, purchase them in basic colors and progress towards “fun” heels.
4. A blazer can do wonders: Wearing a blazer instantly makes you look stylish but can also hide a few figure imperfections. They can also go with anything (depending on the color and fabric texture) so this is a must have in your “mommy” wardrobe.
5. Proper undergarments: Once you become a mom (no matter what size) you will have a case of the “jiggles.” And that’s okay because as a grown woman, you want to have curves but undergarments assist with the shape/fit of your attire. Stop by your favorite lingerie store and purchase a cami top, hosiery, and body shaper.
Mommy-ista Beauty Tips
1. Buy Concealer and Foundation: This particular beauty product is your best friend! You have long nights, and early mornings (very different from college.) Therefore at some point, you will want to look awake and refreshed. Concealer and Foundation can be purchased at Saks or at a local drugstore. For more questions about concealer, download my e-book Beauty Tips Back to The Basics.
2. Neutral Lipstick and Red Lipstick: Wearing a neutral lipstick will make your face appear upbeat and match any color blouse (or dress) in your wardrobe. Wearing a red lipstick will brighten the eyes and refresh your face as well.
3. Groom those Eyebrows: Your eyebrows are truly a window to the face! They can be groomed at any local salon for $10.00 or a kit can be purchased from a local drugstore.
4. Fragrance, Fragrance, Fragrance: Wearing a fragrance can boost any mood but most importantly, you will smell pleasant at all times (while running errands.)
5. Buy Quick Dry Nail Polish or Nail Stickers: At some point, you will need to “appear” as if you’ve had a manicure. Owning nail polish provides the luxury of making your hands look polished but also good for in-home touch ups. Nail stickers are inexpensive and trendy.