WEST ELM OPENS FIRST STORE IN MARYLAND
Home furnishings retailer West Elm announced the opening of its first Maryland location at 1301 Dock St. in downtown Baltimore, along the waterfront between Harbor East and Fells Point. The 11,377 square-foot retail Harbor Point location at the Exelon Building will open on Thursday, September 15 at 10 a.m., bringing approximately 30 jobs to the neighborhood. As part of West Elm’s LOCAL program, seven Maryland-based makers and designers will sell their products within the store’s fall assortment of modern furnishings and décor, and a complimentary Design Lab will offer services that support customers in their journey to express their personal style at home. “We are proud to open our first Maryland store in a neighborhood experiencing a renaissance with both locals and visitors,” says West Elm president Jim Brett. “Our goal is to become an active contributor to this historically conscious community, supporting their efforts to preserve the waterfront while sustainably revitalizing a once overlooked area of downtown Baltimore.”
The newly constructed Exelon Building is expected to bring a mix of shops, restaurants and entertainment to Harbor Point, originally a commercial corridor. West Elm Baltimore speaks to the neighborhood’s industrial and shipping heritage by incorporating salvaged materials sourced from Baltimore harbor into the interior’s architecture. Reclaimed pylons constructed from pine, spruce, and fir lumber, once part of the harbor docks, have been repurposed for the store’s ceiling and distinctive cash wrap design.
To celebrate the opening, West Elm partnered with Baltimore-based artist Tomahawk Design Co. to design a limited edition tote bag that will be presented to the first 300 shoppers with a $50 minimum purchase on opening day. Additional store opening activities will include a sweepstakes* offering local customers a chance to win a $2,000 gift card and an invitation to a private pre-opening celebration on Wednesday, September 14 from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. A portion of the pre-opening celebration proceeds will benefit Living Classrooms Foundation, a local nonprofit organization aiming to strengthen communities and inspire young people to achieve their potential through hands-on education and job training.
A selection of locally made products by seven Maryland-based makers and artisans will be a part of the West Elm Baltimore LOCAL assortment including:
● Dylan Design Co.: Tables made of wood and metal and manufactured in Baltimore, MD.
● Forty Third Place: Trays and wall art made from salvaged and reclaimed wood in Hyattsville, MD.
● Foxwood Co.: Handmade sculptural vessels, dishes and objects carved from locally sourced wood in Annapolis, MD.
● Radica Textiles: Pillowcases designed by hand and printed in small batches honoring Baltimore’s rich history in the textile industry.
● The Vintage Vogue: Modern handpainted wood coasters that blend patterns and artfully crafted, minimalist shapes by a Baltimore-based artist.
● Tomahawk Design Co.: Baltimore-based graphic design firm specializing in home goods, stationery and apparel.
● Waxing Kara: Beeswax-infused bath and beauty products made by a beekeeper in Owings Mills, MD. For up-to-date information on in-store promotions and events, customers are encouraged to “like” the West Elm Baltimore store on Facebook: www.facebook.com/westelmbmore/ and follow the store on Instagram: @westelmbmore. West Elm Baltimore is open Monday-Saturday 10 a.m. – 7 p.m., and Sunday 11 a.m. – 6 p.m. The store’s address is 1301 Dock Street, Baltimore, MD, 21231 and the phone number is 410-244-0121. *Open only to residents that live within the Baltimore, MD area. Official rules of the sweepstakes can be found on the Baltimore Sweepstakes page.
About West Elm Headquartered in Brooklyn, NY since 2002, West Elm opened its first store in DUMBO, the neighborhood it still proudly calls home. With the mission of helping customers express their personal style at home, everything West Elm does is designed to make an impact in everyday life, from creating unique, affordable designs for modern living to its commitment to Fair Trade Certified, from LOCAL and handcrafted products to community-driven in-store events and collaborations. The brand operates 91 retail stores in the United States, Australia, Canada and the UK, ships internationally to customers around the world and operates 11 stores in Mexico, the Middle East and Philippines through unaffiliated franchisees. In addition to home furnishings retail, West Elm operates West Elm Workspace with Inscape in the commercial furnishings industry. West Elm publishes the blog Front+Main and is part of an active community on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and YouTube. West Elm is a member of the Williams-Sonoma, Inc. portfolio of brands.
### Contacts for West Elm: Andres (Dru) Ortega 718-780-0452 firstname.lastname@example.org Hannah Zeskind 718-780-4432 HZeskind@wsgc.co